Searching \ for 'Mysterious Code Protect Bit Set' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: techref.massmind.org/techref/index.htm?key=mysterious+code
Search entire site for: 'Mysterious Code Protect Bit Set'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'Mysterious Code Protect Bit Set'
1997\04\29@145907 by Mark Jurras

flavicon
face
All this talk about CP bit setting and erasing has me wondering....

I recently erased, programmed and then verified a 16C62A part in my PICSTART
Plus. Today I erased the chip, for 30 min's, and did a blank check with my
new ProMate II. It claimed that the part was code protected and returned all
zero's. I was VERY Careful about making sure that the Code Protect was off
when I programmed the device and I did verify the chip afterwards. Does this
bit get set mysteriously? Did Static pop the part? What was the final
conclusion on erasing the CP bit on A series JW parts?

- -Mark

1997\04\29@160550 by Mark Jurras

flavicon
face
I have done some more investigating on my Mysterious Code Protect Bit Set
problem and find that the PICSTART Plus confirms that my JW part is blank.
My Brand new never used ProMate II with PIC16XX 28/40 LEAD DIP AC164012
module says that the same part is Code Protected. This leads me to believe
that the ProMate II is suspect. The PROMATE II correctly identifies that the
module is in place I have removed the module and checked the connections for
foreign debris. No Luck. Anyone else have any clues?

- -Mark

1997\04\30@004817 by tjaart

flavicon
face
Mark Jurras wrote:
>
> All this talk about CP bit setting and erasing has me wondering....
>
> I recently erased, programmed and then verified a 16C62A part in my PICSTART
> Plus. Today I erased the chip, for 30 min's, and did a blank check with my
> new ProMate II. It claimed that the part was code protected and returned all
> zero's. I was VERY Careful about making sure that the Code Protect was off
> when I programmed the device and I did verify the chip afterwards. Does this
> bit get set mysteriously? Did Static pop the part? What was the final
> conclusion on erasing the CP bit on A series JW parts?
>
> - -Mark

I understand this is a bug in the older firmware (I could/would be wrong
though).
There is a specific sequence in which you have to program out of MPLAB
in order to
get the fuses right. I think you have to start the programmer up before
you compile
the software.

This seems like a way of selling more JW parts by Microchip!

A collegue of mine is considering hacking the comms for the PICstart
plus to have
a stand-alone application for it.

PS : It would probably also help if you throwed some salt over your left
shoulder
    and buried a small bushel of hair on the northern side of your
house. :)
    Microchip moves in mysterious ways.
--
Friendly Regards

Tjaart van der Walt
spam_OUTtjaartTakeThisOuTspamwasp.co.za
_____________________________________________________________
| Another sun-deprived R&D Engineer slaving away in a dungeon |
|             WASP International  http://wasp.co.za           |
|             GSM and GPS value-added applications            |
|  Voice : +27-(0)11-622-8686   |   Fax : +27-(0)11-622-8973  |
|_____________________________________________________________|

1997\04\30@091931 by myke predko

flavicon
face
Just to follow up on Tjarrt's note:

>get the fuses right. I think you have to start the programmer up before
>you compile the software.

Yes, if you have a __CONFIG Line in the assembler code, this information
will be loaded into the PSP from MPLAB IFF the PSP is enabled BEFORE assembly.

Enabling the PSP before assembly will ensure that the various configuration
fuses will be set according to __CONFIG.  If you enable the PSP AFTER
assembly, the fuses will stay at a default value.

myke

"My ancestors didn't spend millions of years clawing their way to the top of
the food chain, just so I could become a vegetarian"

1997\04\30@141539 by Bob Fehrenbach

picon face
Mark Jurras <.....JURRAMKILLspamspam@spam@TORRINGTON.COM> wrote:
>I have done some more investigating on my Mysterious Code Protect Bit Set
>problem and find that the PICSTART Plus confirms that my JW part is blank.
>My Brand new never used ProMate II with PIC16XX 28/40 LEAD DIP AC164012
>module says that the same part is Code Protected. This leads me to believe
>that the ProMate II is suspect.

A couple of months ago I was working on a 16C62A project and started
with six windowed parts.  Eventually, the Promate said that two of them
were code protected and I got some other nastygram for the third.  I was
particularly careful to make sure that the code protect bit was not
active.  On a couple of occasions, when I hit the key to start programming
I noticed that the file transfer seemed to get interrupted and the
programmer reported an error.  Subsequently, the parts were unusable.

I don't have a PICSTART for comparison.

There have been some rumblings about unstable Promate software but it
seems that Microchip is playing this close to the vest.  I would guess
that they would like to avoid replacing a ton of parts.


--
Bob Fehrenbach    Wauwatosa, WI     bfehrenbspamKILLspamexecpc.com

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1997 , 1998 only
- Today
- New search...