Searching \ for '[PIC]Microchip original programmers' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: techref.massmind.org/techref/microchip/devprogs.htm?key=programmer
Search entire site for: 'Microchip original programmers'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC]Microchip original programmers'
2006\02\05@130449 by Metis Adrastea

picon face
Hi!

While developing my (first asm) project on a pic 16f684 I realised
that with my programmer (http://213.97.130.124/progs/pp2/pp2.htm - in
spanish) I can't program the 16F684. Icprog don't support this PIC, so
I've tried making a definition file on WinPIC, but I am doing
something bad because all my tries are failed (maybe something related
to Vpp voltage or programming speed?).

Being so disappointed I've thought on buying a programmer directly
from Microchip, hoping this would solve my problems once and for all,
at least for a few years. I have a clear idea of what I want to do in
my way of learning using PICs and for that reason I've sampled (in the
course of time) the following models:

16F628A, 16F684, 16F84A, 16F877A, 18F2455, 18F2550, 18F4550.

I think that with these models I can make most of the projects I could
figure in the next years, but I do accept suggestions :) My priorities
are size, power/speed, i/o count and communication capabilities :)

Well, I've browsing the Microchip website and I've found that the
programmer that could fit my needs at best price could be the PICKit 2
programmer. So, what is your opinion about this programmer? Any idea
of what should I do?

Thanks in advance for the answers ;)

P.D.- What about RFPics? Anybody has tested them?

Cheers

Metis Adrastea
--
He comentado ya que tengo un blog? O:-)
http://metisadrastea.blogspot.com/

2006\02\05@190024 by Chen Xiao Fan

face
flavicon
face

> -----Original Message-----
> From: spam_OUTpiclist-bouncesTakeThisOuTspammit.edu
> [.....piclist-bouncesKILLspamspam@spam@mit.edu] On Behalf Of Metis Adrastea
>
> 16F628A, 16F684, 16F84A, 16F877A, 18F2455, 18F2550, 18F4550.
>  
> Well, I've browsing the Microchip website and I've found that the
> programmer that could fit my needs at best price could be the PICKit 2
> programmer. So, what is your opinion about this programmer? Any idea
> of what should I do?

I think it is the best choice at its price. It will probably never
support 16F84A but it supports all other PICs in your list. Anyway,
you have other PICs so you do not need the 16F84A.

PS+ and ICD2 are more capable but they are not in the same price
range as PICkit 2.

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\02\06@073725 by olin piclist

face picon face
Metis Adrastea wrote:
> Being so disappointed I've thought on buying a programmer directly
> from Microchip, hoping this would solve my problems once and for all,
> at least for a few years. I have a clear idea of what I want to do in
> my way of learning using PICs and for that reason I've sampled (in the
> course of time) the following models:
>
> 16F628A, 16F684, 16F84A, 16F877A, 18F2455, 18F2550, 18F4550.

My EasyProg (http://www.embedinc.com/products) can program these except the
16F84A.  That is an obsolete chip which costs more and does less than others
like the 16F627A.  For hobbyists using PICs in low volume, it doesn't make
sense to use the low end of a subfamily.  For 18 pin PIC 16 you only need to
look at the 16F648A and 16F88.  The rest are just downsized versions of
these that may cost a little less, but you're better off having the more
capable chips around for various projects than saving a buck per PIC on a
handful of them.


******************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, (978) 742-9014.  #1 PIC
consultant in 2004 program year.  http://www.embedinc.com/products

2006\02\06@094953 by Metis Adrastea

picon face
2006/2/6, Olin Lathrop <olin_piclistspamKILLspamembedinc.com>:
> My EasyProg (http://www.embedinc.com/products) can program these except the
> 16F84A.  That is an obsolete chip which costs more and does less than others
> like the 16F627A.  For hobbyists using PICs in low volume, it doesn't make
> sense to use the low end of a subfamily.  For 18 pin PIC 16 you only need to
> look at the 16F648A and 16F88.  The rest are just downsized versions of
> these that may cost a little less, but you're better off having the more
> capable chips around for various projects than saving a buck per PIC on a
> handful of them.

I'm aware of the 16F84A issue, but I have one left on my desk and I
wolud want to program it. Anyway this is not a problem, beacause my
old programmer can program these oldies-but-goodies.

Also, I think I'll get the PicKit2, because I could use it anywhere
with my laptop as it runs on USB.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Metis Adrastea
--
He comentado ya que tengo un blog? O:-) / Have I commented that I have
a blog in Spanish? O:-)
http://metisadrastea.blogspot.com/

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2006 , 2007 only
- Today
- New search...