Searching \ for '[PIC] want to know linux support' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: techref.massmind.org/techref/microchip/ios.htm?key=port
Search entire site for: 'want to know linux support'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] want to know linux support'
2006\08\19@040801 by J.Bakshi

picon face
Dear list,

I have seen a no. of PIC support for M$ platform. even COW-Basic has been
developed to make programming easier. But I like to know the Linux based PIC
S/W like language, compiler, IDE etc. I also know a few like picprog, the pyk
etc. but those are not sufficient to work under linux. Pls suggest some more
good and easy to S/W programmer  under linux.

Thanks
--
regards,
J. Bakshi

2006\08\19@052729 by stef mientki

flavicon
face
J.Bakshi wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have seen a no. of PIC support for M$ platform. even COW-Basic has been
> developed to make programming easier. But I like to know the Linux based PIC
> S/W like language, compiler, IDE etc. I also know a few like picprog, the pyk
> etc. but those are not sufficient to work under linux. Pls suggest some more
> good and easy to S/W programmer  under linux.
>  
JAL is working under any operating system,
but with are still looking for a good Linux IDE :-(

Stef
> Thanks
>  

2006\08\19@054006 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
Piklab supports JAL, on their site there are couple of links for other
development tools:
http://piklab.sourceforge.net

This is also very nice, supports SDCC:
http://www.ktechlab.org/

Tamas


On 19/08/06, stef mientki <spam_OUTs.mientkiTakeThisOuTspammailbox.kun.nl> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

> -

2006\08\19@061352 by John Scott

flavicon
face
Hi

Anyone know if ICD2 is supported? If not, is there some indication of
which programmers have linux support? Do the windows based programming
tools work with wine or cross-over office?

Regards

John

Tamas Rudnai wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>> --

2006\08\19@074934 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
John Scott wrote :

> If not, is there some indication of
which programmers have linux support?

Wouter's Wisp628/XWisp2 from Rob Hamerling
are tested/works under Linux.

Jan-Erik.



2006\08\19@094844 by Sebastien Bailard

flavicon
face
On Saturday 19 August 2006 07:49, Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> John Scott wrote :
> > If not, is there some indication of
>
> which programmers have linux support?
>
> Wouter's Wisp628/XWisp2 from Rob Hamerling
> are tested/works under Linux.
>
> Jan-Erik.

There's this one, for the serial port, that has linux support:
http://reprapdoc.voodoo.co.nz/bin/view/Main/StripboardJDM

It's a bit unsophisticated, mind you.

-Sebastien Bailard
RepRap.org

2006\08\19@114000 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 8/19/06, John Scott <johnspamKILLspamraystorm.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone know if ICD2 is supported? If not, is there some indication of
> which programmers have linux support? Do the windows based programming
> tools work with wine or cross-over office?
>

Yes ICD2 is supported by Piklab. It supports gputils/sdcc/MPLAB C18/
MPLAB C30 and PICKit 1/PICKit 2/ICD2.

http://piklab.sourceforge.net/index.php

Check the chip support here:
http://piklab.sourceforge.net/devices.php

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\08\19@114000 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 8/19/06, John Scott <.....johnKILLspamspam.....raystorm.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone know if ICD2 is supported? If not, is there some indication of
> which programmers have linux support? Do the windows based programming
> tools work with wine or cross-over office?
>

Yes ICD2 is supported by Piklab. It supports gputils/sdcc/MPLAB C18/
MPLAB C30 and PICKit 1/PICKit 2/ICD2.

http://piklab.sourceforge.net/index.php

Check the chip support here:
http://piklab.sourceforge.net/devices.php

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\08\19@114503 by Byron A Jeff

face picon face
On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 09:48:20AM -0400, Sebastien Bailard wrote:
> On Saturday 19 August 2006 07:49, Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> > John Scott wrote :
> > > If not, is there some indication of
> >
> > which programmers have linux support?
> >
> > Wouter's Wisp628/XWisp2 from Rob Hamerling
> > are tested/works under Linux.
> >
> > Jan-Erik.
>
> There's this one, for the serial port, that has linux support:
> http://reprapdoc.voodoo.co.nz/bin/view/Main/StripboardJDM

Serial port based programmers are always a dicey proposition. JDM
relies on the port providing adequate voltages to generate Vpp.
Many modern serial ports don't come close to that standard.

Parallel ports are more forgiving since they must meet TTL specs.

BAJ

2006\08\19@130510 by John Scott

flavicon
face
Is anyone on this list using Linux productively for their electronics
and PIC work?

If so, please let me hear your experience and viewpoint. I have had just
about enough of Windows failing and slow running. At least linux can be
reduced to a bare minimum. Importantly - please let us know which distro
you are using.

Regards

John

Byron A Jeff wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2006\08\19@131743 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
I have never tried but as far as I concern for paralell port programmers you
need a special driver on WinNT/2K/XP.

Tamas


On 19/08/06, Byron A Jeff <EraseMEbyronspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTcc.gatech.edu> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

> -

2006\08\19@135756 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 8/19/06, John Scott <johnspamspam_OUTraystorm.co.uk> wrote:
> Is anyone on this list using Linux productively for their electronics
> and PIC work?

I will tend to think you will be more productive under Windows for
most of the electronics and PIC work. That being said, it is getting
better and better under Linux for PIC related works. gputils/sdcc/gpsim/
Piklab/pk2 with PICkit 2 can be a really cheaper and productive
development environment for PIC development.

I am not so sure about electronics. Most expensive EDA packages
(Mentor Graphics, Cadence, Synopsis) run under Linux/Unix along with
Windows and they might even run better under Linux and Unix than
Windows. However they are out of reach for the general public (mostly
in big companies and universities). Then the cheaper EDA packages
generally only run under Windows. Of course there are open source
EDA packages out there which runs under Linux and it might be
enough for you.

> If so, please let me hear your experience and viewpoint. I have had just
> about enough of Windows failing and slow running. At least linux can be
> reduced to a bare minimum. Importantly - please let us know which distro
> you are using.

You can always reinstall Windows and it will get faster. Linux is also
not small. You can not reduce to a bare minimum and expect the
PIC development to be smooth if you want to run gpsim and Piklab.
In fact "Bare Minimum" Linux like those bootable CD based
distribution will be almost useless for PIC and Electronic related
development under Linux.

You can always dual boot between Windows and Linux...

Regards,
Xiaofan
(who will have no access to the Linux machine at home for three months ...)

2006\08\19@142717 by peter green

flavicon
face

> Anyone know if ICD2 is supported?
you might i suppose get away with running mplab IDE under wine and
connecting to an ICD2 over serial (can't try it myself as i don't have a
serial cable). USB to ICD2 from mplab is likely to be impossible though
(since you won't be able to run the windows driver on linux). It seems
piklab also supports the ICD2 but only for some processors (they say
midrange, i think that means certain 16 series devices but i'm not sure).

> If not, is there some indication of
> which programmers have linux support?
My picsquirt does, others have mentioned other programmers.

>Do the windows based programming
> tools work with wine or cross-over office?
i decided to give this a go on my debian etch box (using stock wine from
debian though i have installed some other windows software in the past)

the component install of mplab failed with an "unable to download" error.

undeterred i tried the full zipped download that demanded at least IE 5,
time to install IE!

given my previous problem with component based installs i grabbed a IE 5.5
full package from oldversion.com (took ages to download too)

that failed to install so i googled internet explorer wine and found
http://patrick.spacesurfer.com/ie_wine_install.html i decided to try
following it.

i couldn't find the config file in the given location so i asked in #debian
and found out that they have dropped the config file and moved to using the
registry. So i had to add the dll overrides etc by hand through the config
gui (annoying) when there were multiple conflicting entries in the list
given in the tutorial i went with the first one.

i also had to use an environment variable instead of the command lines to
specify the specific overrides needed for specific stages.

that failed with a can't download from the internet error so back to my
IE5.5 full installer,

that didn't work either, so i'm stuck. Maybe if someone knows a reliable way
to get IE installed on the latest wine or a way to make mplabs installer
proceed without it we could get arround this issue.



2006\08\19@144730 by Jan Wagemakers

face picon face
Xiaofan Chen schreef:

> generally only run under Windows. Of course there are open source
> EDA packages out there which runs under Linux and it might be
> enough for you.

gEDA <http://geda.seul.org/> works very nice.

And at <http://geda.seul.org/links.html> there are links to various projects
that have used gEDA, some of them with PIC's (to stay on-topic ;-) )


--
Met vriendelijke groetjes         - Jan Wagemakers -

... "All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less."
   --Mutt <http://www.mutt.org/>

2006\08\19@170154 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 13:57 -0400, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> You can always reinstall Windows and it will get faster. Linux is also
> not small. You can not reduce to a bare minimum and expect the
> PIC development to be smooth if you want to run gpsim and Piklab.
> In fact "Bare Minimum" Linux like those bootable CD based
> distribution will be almost useless for PIC and Electronic related
> development under Linux.

Very true, in fact when I install Linux I install EVERYTHING (which is
harder then it used to be since Fedora decided a couple versions ago to
remove the "everything" option when installing...).

My solution to the "windows problem" is threefold:

1. a dual core machine running linux
2. 1.5GB of memory
3. free version of vmware running a win2k virtual machine

This solution works VERY well. Most of my work is done under Linux.
Whatever needs windows is run on the win2k virtual machine. Having the
dual core machine means both the host Linux system and the virtual win2k
system almost always have enough CPU to be happy. The large amount of
memory is necessary since Fedora 5 isn't happy with less then 1GB of
memory (and runs better with 1.5GB).

TTYL

2006\08\19@190311 by John Temples

flavicon
face
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, peter green wrote:

>> Anyone know if ICD2 is supported?
> you might i suppose get away with running mplab IDE under wine and
> connecting to an ICD2 over serial (can't try it myself as i don't have a
> serial cable). USB to ICD2 from mplab is likely to be impossible though
> (since you won't be able to run the windows driver on linux).

MPLAB and ICD2 with USB works fine under Linux with VMWare.

--
John W. Temples, III

2006\08\19@192559 by peter green

flavicon
face


> -----Original Message-----
> From: @spam@piclist-bouncesKILLspamspammit.edu [KILLspampiclist-bouncesKILLspamspammit.edu]On Behalf
> Of John Temples
> Sent: 19 August 2006 23:41
> To: Microcontroller discussion list - Public.
> Subject: RE: [PIC] want to know linux support
>
>
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, peter green wrote:
>
> >> Anyone know if ICD2 is supported?
> > you might i suppose get away with running mplab IDE under wine and
> > connecting to an ICD2 over serial (can't try it myself as i don't have a
> > serial cable). USB to ICD2 from mplab is likely to be impossible though
> > (since you won't be able to run the windows driver on linux).
>
> MPLAB and ICD2 with USB works fine under Linux with VMWare.
i presume you mean with a vmware vm running windows?

yes i can see that working, i guess it all depends on how you define running
on linux (i wouldn't personally count vmware because its a full system
virtualisation system and it does make some use of emulation type
techniques) ;)


2006\08\19@212100 by Mark Rages

face picon face
On 8/19/06, J.Bakshi <RemoveMEbakshi12TakeThisOuTspamgmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have seen a no. of PIC support for M$ platform. even COW-Basic has been
> developed to make programming easier. But I like to know the Linux based PIC
> S/W like language, compiler, IDE etc. I also know a few like picprog, the pyk
> etc. but those are not sufficient to work under linux. Pls suggest some more
> good and easy to S/W programmer  under linux.
>

What's insufficient about picprog and pyk?

I've done some successful projects with the following toolset:

Assembler:  gputils
Compiler: sdcc
Programmer: pyk (I wrote it)
Editor: emacs
Source control: subversion
Build control: GNU make
Distribution: Fedora
Schematic capture:  gschem
Layout: PCB (What a poor choice of names! You can Google the other
programs, but "pcb" is hopeless.  It lives at
http://pcb.sourceforge.net)

Most of these programs are available for Windows.  If you switch to
Linux "cold turkey", prepare for a few weeks of reduced productivity.

I've been Linux-only for seven years now.  I can't imagine switching
back to Windows.
I've considered switching to MacOS, but I would really miss the
feeling of freedom that Free software generates.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
 - fortune cookie

2006\08\19@233157 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 8/19/06, peter green <spamBeGoneplugwashspamBeGonespamp10link.net> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if ICD2 is supported?
> you might i suppose get away with running mplab IDE under wine and
> connecting to an ICD2 over serial (can't try it myself as i don't have a
> serial cable). USB to ICD2 from mplab is likely to be impossible though
> (since you won't be able to run the windows driver on linux). It seems
> piklab also supports the ICD2 but only for some processors (they say
> midrange, i think that means certain 16 series devices but i'm not sure).

It won't work. Wine is not so good in terms of hardware support. I've tried
it and it did not work.

I've written a mini-howto on installing MPLAB under Linux with Wine.
Most of the software components (MPASM, MPLAB C18, MPLAB C30)
work right away but not any hardware support.

http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=112347

It is said that Vmware does a good job on running Windows. The downside
is that you will need a Windows license. In that case, I think dual boot
is a better and faster solution. I'd prefer native Linux application
like gputils/sdcc/gpsim/pk2/pyk/piklab and other programs if I were to
use
Linux exclusively.

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\08\19@234029 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 23:31 -0400, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> It is said that Vmware does a good job on running Windows. The downside
> is that you will need a Windows license.

It's pretty much impossible to purchase a PC these days (unless you
build it yourself) that doesn't include a windows license, so that issue
is moot for me.

> In that case, I think dual boot
> is a better and faster solution.

Better is relative. Faster is false. The amount of time to shut down,
reboot, do your work, reboot since you forgot something you saved on
your linux partition, reboot to continue your work, reboot for whatever,
etc... is FAR more then the SMALL drop in performance I experience
running win2k under vmware.

> I'd prefer native Linux application
> like gputils/sdcc/gpsim/pk2/pyk/piklab and other programs if I were to
> use
> Linux exclusively.

AFAIK there is still zero ICD2 support in Linux for actual in circuit
debugging. Despite my being a VERY large Linux fan, Linux will not be a
platform I plan to use for PIC work for a while at least.

TTYL

2006\08\20@000238 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 8/19/06, Herbert Graf <TakeThisOuTmailinglist3EraseMEspamspam_OUTfarcite.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 23:31 -0400, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> > It is said that Vmware does a good job on running Windows. The downside
> > is that you will need a Windows license.
>
> It's pretty much impossible to purchase a PC these days (unless you
> build it yourself) that doesn't include a windows license, so that issue
> is moot for me.

I see your point. However in part of the world it is very common for
people to assembly their desktop PC.

> > In that case, I think dual boot
> > is a better and faster solution.
>
> Better is relative. Faster is false. The amount of time to shut down,
> reboot, do your work, reboot since you forgot something you saved on
> your linux partition, reboot to continue your work, reboot for whatever,
> etc... is FAR more then the SMALL drop in performance I experience
> running win2k under vmware.

I've not tried Vmware for a while. So maybe you are right that the
performance hit is not that great.

> > I'd prefer native Linux application
> > like gputils/sdcc/gpsim/pk2/pyk/piklab and other programs if I were to
> > use Linux exclusively.
>
> AFAIK there is still zero ICD2 support in Linux for actual in circuit
> debugging. Despite my being a VERY large Linux fan, Linux will not be a
> platform I plan to use for PIC work for a while at least.
>

There is not much ICD2 debugging support but It is more than zero. ;-)

Piklab has some support of ICD2 debugging for 16F PICs.
http://piklab.sourceforge.net/
http://piklab.sourceforge.net/devices.php

But I do agree with you it will take quite some time or Linux PIC
development support to be on par with Windows.

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\08\20@002438 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 00:02 -0400, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> Piklab has some support of ICD2 debugging for 16F PICs.
> http://piklab.sourceforge.net/
> http://piklab.sourceforge.net/devices.php

I wasn't aware there was any, so it's better then nothing.

However, that said, all my dev work is with the 18F and moreso the 30F
series, so I don't see a day anytime soon that I'll be able to get rid
of windows, UNLESS MChip gets off their butts and releases a Linux port
of MPLAB.

TTYL

2006\08\20@005547 by William Chops Westfield

face picon face

On Aug 19, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Xiaofan Chen wrote:

> I am not so sure about electronics. Most expensive EDA packages
> (Mentor Graphics, Cadence, Synopsis) run under Linux/Unix along with
> Windows and they might even run better under Linux and Unix than
> Windows. However they are out of reach for the general public (mostly
> in big companies and universities). Then the cheaper EDA packages
> generally only run under Windows.

Cadsoft's EAGLE runs on linux and macosX as well as windows.  My
opinion of them went up a notch when they did the Mac port; in
theory most linux apps will run under macOSX with little more than
a recompile (as long as you don't insist on having a Mac-like GUI),
but most companies can't be bothered.  (of course, it is a strength
and a weakness of Eagle that they have their own user interface
that does not much try to be compatible with any particular host
environment.)

I'm using a Mac for development, although "productively" might
be debatable, since the microcontroller stuff I do is all a hobby
that I don't have a lot of time for.

Most of the open source linux tools compile (AVRA and TAVRASM
for AVR assembly, jal, gputils, gerbv) and run OK in the X
environment.  I never much got into the IDE environments,
so I'm happy with Emacs and other tools in separate terminal
or X windows, and confident that I COULD make emacs into more
of an integrated IDE if I cared...)  Driving programmers is
a bit of a weak point; there is some code for driving a pickit1
that I use, and I'm not militant about avoiding windows as a
last step; I need it to run the LPKF tools there, the tiny11
programmer there, and so on.  "no big deal.")  For a while, I
implemented a "linux peripheral" for the mac; an old PII system
with debian, and no keyboard or monitor; I accessed Eagle and
other tools via SSH and X and that wasn't bad either.

(the "work" environment is X windows on the mac accessing remote
unix systems... Works fine; the 23inch screen is great!)

BillW

2006\08\22@161428 by dr. Imre Bartfai

flavicon
face
Hi,

PICSTART+ has a good Linux support. See http://www.cosmodog.com ; the tool is
called PICP.

Regards,
Imre


On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, Xiaofan Chen wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> --

2006\08\22@174412 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 8/22/06, dr. Imre Bartfai <profEraseMEspam.....prof.pmmf.hu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PICSTART+ has a good Linux support. See http://www.cosmodog.com ; the tool is
> called PICP.
>

Oh that is really old info! picp is now maintained by Jeff Post.
http://home.pacbell.net/theposts/picmicro/

He is also the author of pk2, the Linux program for PICkit 2
(working for Mac OS X as well).

Regards,
Xiaofan

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2006 , 2007 only
- Today
- New search...