Searching \ for '[PIC] Current status of EasyISP ?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: techref.massmind.org/techref/power.htm?key=current
Search entire site for: 'Current status of EasyISP ?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] Current status of EasyISP ?'
2006\01\14@094742 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Hi !
I thought I'd add a short note about EasyISP to
my Swedish local Wisp628 pages.

What is the current status ?
What versiosn of EasyProg firmware/Pic_prog
is it currently based on ?

Anyone currently using EasyISP ?

Regards,
Jan-Erik.



2006\01\14@095904 by Philip Pemberton

face picon face
In message <12569254.1137250061254.JavaMail.tomcat@pne-ps1-sn1>
         Jan-Erik Soderholm <spam_OUTjan-erik.soderholmTakeThisOuTspamtelia.com> wrote:

> I thought I'd add a short note about EasyISP to
> my Swedish local Wisp628 pages.
>
> What is the current status ?

A beta that seems to work fine.

> What versiosn of EasyProg firmware/Pic_prog
> is it currently based on ?

Whichever one was available on the 29th of November 2004. I really need to
run diff between the source code for that version (if I can find a copy of
it) and the current version and merge in whatever features and bugfixes were
added to Easyprog between then and now.

> Anyone currently using EasyISP ?

One of my Wisp628s has EasyISP loaded into the PIC, but I don't really use it
now I've got an ICD2.

Thanks,
--
Phil.                              | Acorn RiscPC600 SA220 64MB+6GB 100baseT
.....philpemKILLspamspam@spam@dsl.pipex.com              | Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxe R2 512MB+100GB
http://www.philpem.me.uk/          | Panasonic CF-25 Mk.2 Toughbook
... Jesus saves...Passes to Moses..Shoots....Scores!

2006\01\14@101013 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 1/14/06, Jan-Erik Soderholm <jan-erik.soderholmspamKILLspamtelia.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone currently using EasyISP ?
>

I tried it sometimes (only to check if my self-made Wisp628A is
alive or not). Now xwisp2 1.8.1 is good enough so that
EasyISP does not have any advantage in its current format. And
I have PICkit 2 as well as ICD2...

If the next version of EasyISP can support dsPICs, then I will try it
again...

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\01\14@103116 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Philip Pemberton wrote :

> Whichever one was available on the 29th of November 2004.

Fine. I guess one can't find any "supported PICs" list
from thatever version that whas anymore.

Xiaofan Chen wrote :

> If the next version of EasyISP can support dsPICs, then I will try
it
> again...

OK.
My missunderstanding. I thought there was some support for
a basic series of dsPIC's in EasyISP...

Didn't the EasyProg support some dsPIC's at the time
of the port to EasyISP ? Maybe not...

What devices *does* EasyISP support (today) that
aren't supported by the original Wisp628 (or the
patched version from Rob Hammerling) ?

Jan-Erik.



2006\01\14@110622 by olin piclist

face picon face
Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> What versiosn of EasyProg firmware/Pic_prog

I don't know the state of the EasyISP firmware, but the latest version of
PIC_PROG and other utilities at http://www.embedinc.com/picprg/sw.htm should
work.  The protocol spec keeps evolving but I try to keep the host software
backwards compatible to old versions.  Although that hasn't been tested that
thoroughly...


******************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, (978) 742-9014.  #1 PIC
consultant in 2004 program year.  http://www.embedinc.com/products

2006\01\14@193448 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 1/14/06, Jan-Erik Soderholm <.....jan-erik.soderholmKILLspamspam.....telia.com> wrote:

> > If the next version of EasyISP can support dsPICs, then I will try
> > it again...
>
> My missunderstanding. I thought there was some support for
> a basic series of dsPIC's in EasyISP...
>
> Didn't the EasyProg support some dsPIC's at the time
> of the port to EasyISP ? Maybe not...

No. The support of PIC chips were also not that great. 16F87xA,
16F87/88, 10F, dsPICs, 18F USB support were not present
at that time.

> What devices *does* EasyISP support (today) that
> aren't supported by the original Wisp628 (or the
> patched version from Rob Hammerling) ?
>

If there are any, then it will be some base line chips
(12F50x, 16F5x, 16F50x). Wisp628A never supports
any base line chips.

The host program is okay. I can use the later version
of the host program with EasyISP.

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\01\14@220504 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 1/15/06, Olin Lathrop <EraseMEolin_piclistspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTembedinc.com> wrote:
> Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> > What versiosn of EasyProg firmware/Pic_prog
>
> I don't know the state of the EasyISP firmware, but the latest version of
> PIC_PROG and other utilities at http://www.embedinc.com/picprg/sw.htm should
> work.  The protocol spec keeps evolving but I try to keep the host software
> backwards compatible to old versions.  Although that hasn't been tested that
> thoroughly...
>

Hi Olin,

It seems to me that the host programs (pic_read and pic_prog) still work
quite well with EasyISP firmware even though I only tested 16F628A.

By the way, how to set the soft links "cognivision_links" with slink
so that I can build pic_read and pic_prog with the source code using
Visual C++ 6. Now I need to manually change "cognivision_links" to
"(cog)" in some pascal source files to build pic_read/pic_prog.

I tried "slink cognivision_links c:\" which does not work.

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\01\16@072002 by olin piclist

face picon face
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> It seems to me that the host programs (pic_read and pic_prog) still work
> quite well with EasyISP firmware even though I only tested 16F628A.

That was the intent, but it's good to hear it actually works since I haven't
tested that.  Thanks.

> By the way, how to set the soft links "cognivision_links" with slink
> so that I can build pic_read and pic_prog with the source code using
> Visual C++ 6. Now I need to manually change "cognivision_links" to
> "(cog)" in some pascal source files to build pic_read/pic_prog.
>
> I tried "slink cognivision_links c:\" which does not work.

Try "slink /cognivision_links (cog)".  There should already be a directly
called dsee_libs which just contains a bunch of links all pointing to
"(cog)lib".  Yes this is a kludge to make something work on one system that
was originally designed to work on another.  You can use the "l" command to
list a directly, which also shows symbolic links and their expansions.


******************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, (978) 742-9014.  #1 PIC
consultant in 2004 program year.  http://www.embedinc.com/products

2006\01\16@075549 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 1/16/06, Olin Lathrop <olin_piclistspamspam_OUTembedinc.com> wrote:
> > I tried "slink cognivision_links c:\" which does not work.
>
> Try "slink /cognivision_links (cog)".  There should already be a directly
> called dsee_libs which just contains a bunch of links all pointing to
> "(cog)lib".  Yes this is a kludge to make something work on one system that
> was originally designed to work on another.  You can use the "l" command to
> list a directly, which also shows symbolic links and their expansions.
>

Thanks a lot! Now the build scripts in c:\embedinc\com (build*.bat) are
all working with MPLAB 7.30 and MS Visual C++ 6.0.

I've tested the following build scripts (they in turn calls most of the batch
files).

build_base.bat
build_file_lib.bat
build_hal_expic.bat
build_hos_expic.bat
build_picprg_lib.bat
build_pic_prog_prog.bat
build_pic_read_prog.bat
build_prg_expic.bat
build_string_lib.bat
build_sys_lib.bat
build_test_picprg_prog.bat
build_util_lib.bat

Thanks again!

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\01\16@083640 by olin piclist

face picon face
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> I've tested the following build scripts (they in turn calls most of the
> batch files).
>
> build_base.bat
> build_file_lib.bat
> build_hal_expic.bat
> build_hos_expic.bat
> build_picprg_lib.bat
> build_pic_prog_prog.bat
> build_pic_read_prog.bat
> build_prg_expic.bat
> build_string_lib.bat
> build_sys_lib.bat
> build_test_picprg_prog.bat
> build_util_lib.bat

This is great.  I'm glad to see it is actually possible to rebuild from the
source given what I supplied on the web site.  Do you have a list of all the
things you had to do to get to this point?  If so, I'll add it to a
documentation file and give you credit for it.

So what are you going to do with this?


******************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, (978) 742-9014.  #1 PIC
consultant in 2004 program year.  http://www.embedinc.com/products

2006\01\16@205518 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 1/16/06, Olin Lathrop <@spam@olin_piclistKILLspamspamembedinc.com> wrote:
> This is great.  I'm glad to see it is actually possible to rebuild from the
> source given what I supplied on the web site.  Do you have a list of all the
> things you had to do to get to this point?  If so, I'll add it to a
> documentation file and give you credit for it.
>
> So what are you going to do with this?
>

Right now it is just for fun. ;-) I am improving my programming skills (PIC
and host side using C) by learning from the existing codes (PIC related).

The following are the steps to get all the build scripts working. I think
the website provides enough information except the
"slink /cognivision_links (cog)" part.

1. To install embedinc build environment and the host source package
a) development software
http://www.embedinc.com/picprg/sw.htm
install_picprg_dev.exe
b) Host source code
http://www.embedinc.com/pic/dload.htm
install_source_public.exe

I actually install other packages as well following the procedures
in the embedinc website.

c) one extra step sine the soft link "/cognivision_links" is not set yet
This can be solved by execute "slink /cognivision_links (cog)"

2. C compiler (now only supports Visual C++ 6) setup
Right now the build environment only supports Visual C++ 6. I am not
so sure if it supports the latest free Visual C++.Net Express Edition
plus the free Platform SDK.

3. Environment variable set up

a) Existing:
INCLUDE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\include;....
TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Test\LOCALS~1\Temp
TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Test\LOCALS~1\Temp

c) Newly added by step 1 or manually added
EMBEDINC=C:\embedinc
COGNIVIS=C:\embedinc
dsPICdir=C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLAB ASM30 Suite
lib_sys=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\lib
MPLABDIR=C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPASM Suite
MSVCDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98
Path=C:\embedinc\com;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin; ...

4) testing the above setup by running through the build scripts
in the c:\embedinc\com directory. The following is the recommened
sequence.

pre_a) backup the c:\embedinc directory

a) EasyProg firmware
> build_prg_expic.bat

b) EasyProg/ProProg host software
> build_pic_prog_prog.bat
> build_pic_read_prog.bat
> build_test_picprg_prog.bat
> build_picprg_lib.bat

c) Embedinc Libs
> build_file_lib.bat
> build_string_lib.bat
> build_sys_lib.bat
> build_util_lib.bat

d) all the base utility
> build_base.bat

5) If there are some problems, go back to the previous steps. I think
I only met one warning message in the whole process.

The tests are carried out on Windows XP SP2 and MPLAB 7.30.
The environment variables depend on the install locations of the
softwares.

Regards,
Xiaofan

2006\01\17@071837 by olin piclist

face picon face
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> The following are the steps to get all the build scripts working. I
> think the website provides enough information except the
> "slink /cognivision_links (cog)" part.

Thanks for the list.  I will try to incorporate this in the apprpriate
documentation over the next few days.


******************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, (978) 742-9014.  #1 PIC
consultant in 2004 program year.  http://www.embedinc.com/products

2006\01\21@143122 by olin piclist

face picon face
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> The following are the steps to get all the build scripts working. I
> think
> the website provides enough information except the
> "slink /cognivision_links (cog)" part.

I took your notes plus some of my documentation and added a new web page
about how to get the host source build environment up and running.  I also
fixed the install script so that the link you mention above is automatically
created, although it's still mentioned on that page.

If you're willing, have a look at
http://www.embedinc.com/pic/hostsource.htm.  There is also updated source
and PIC development environment to download.


******************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, (978) 742-9014.  #1 PIC
consultant in 2004 program year.  http://www.embedinc.com/products

2006\01\22@211448 by Chen Xiao Fan

face
flavicon
face

> From: KILLspampiclist-bouncesKILLspamspammit.edu
> [RemoveMEpiclist-bouncesTakeThisOuTspammit.edu] On Behalf Of Olin Lathrop
>
> If you're willing, have a look at
> http://www.embedinc.com/pic/hostsource.htm.  There is also
> updated source and PIC development environment to download.
>

Thanks a lot for putting up the web page. I think the building
instructions are quite clear now.

Hopefully some capable people can hack an alternative host
application with all the information Olin provides. ;-)

Regards,
Xiaofan

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2006 , 2007 only
- Today
- New search...