Searching \ for '[PIC]: Does anyone know of a supplier of 2x6 IDE t' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: techref.massmind.org/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'Does anyone know of a supplier of 2x6 IDE t'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC]: Does anyone know of a supplier of 2x6 IDE t'
2003\11\28@083325 by Dominic Stratten

picon face
Possibly needs to go under a different tag but here goes .......

I've got an application that requires a 2x6 way connector similar to what is
normally found on a hard drive connector. I've trawled the web, Molex and
AMP but the closest I've got is for a 2X6 way connector that takes crimped
pins.

Everyone seems to do 10 way (2x5 way) and 14 way (2x7 way) but I cant find
anyone who does the 2x6 way IDC sockets and plugs.

I managed to find the original connectors that were used on the device I
want to connect up to but the minimum order quantities are around 10,000 so
that puts it straight out of the equation.

The spacings of the pins are a standard 0.1" pitch (6 pins across by 2 rows)
and at the moment I've been using my trusty bandsaw to cut down 40 pin IDE
cables for prototyping.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Dom

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\11\28@084401 by Olin Lathrop

face picon face
Dominic Stratten wrote:
> I've got an application that requires a 2x6 way connector similar to
> what is normally found on a hard drive connector.

Huh?  There are two connectors normally found on hard drives, power and IDE.
Neither could be describes as anything like "2x6".


*****************************************************************
Embed Inc, embedded system specialists in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, http://www.embedinc.com

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\11\28@092209 by John J. McDonough

flavicon
face
----- Original Message -----
Subject: [PIC]: Does anyone know of a supplier of 2x6 IDE type plugs and
sockets ?


> The spacings of the pins are a standard 0.1" pitch (6 pins across by 2
rows)
> and at the moment I've been using my trusty bandsaw to cut down 40 pin IDE
> cables for prototyping.

Take a look at DigiKey (http://www.digikey.com).  They have hundreds of different
types of connectors on 0.1" pitch - the characteristics that differentiate
them are the pin diameter, material, and type of hood (locking, nonlocking,
ramp, etc. etc. etc.)

Probably you would get more fish if you used [EE:] as bait rather than
[PIC]:

72/73 de WB8RCR    http://www.qsl.net/wb8rcr
didileydadidah     QRP-L #1446 Code Warriors #35

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\11\28@093453 by Dominic Stratten

picon face
Similar in construction to what is normally found on a hard drive.

I want to be able to connect a 12 way ribbon cable onto a 2x6 pin connector
that has the same depth, spacing and appearence of the connector found on
the 40 pin IDE type connectors.

I've had a look on Digikey but they only seem to carry 10 or 14 contact
connectors (as do most of the UK suppliers) - I need a 12 contact connector
with 2 rows of 6 contacts on a 0.1" spacing.


{Original Message removed}

2003\11\28@131646 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
If this is a product design, it would be better for your client if you used
a standard IDC component. Expand your design to 2x7 by increasing the
number of ground conductors-you can never have too many. It will be less
costly in production to keep to industry standard sizing.

--Bob

At 07:30 AM 11/28/2003, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>{Original Message removed}

2003\11\28@160800 by John N. Power

flavicon
face
{Quote hidden}

There are two choices available to you. The first is to buy (from Digi-Key) a
strip that is 36x2 and cut it apart into 6 pieces 6x2. The Sullins strips on
page 91 of catalog T033 are designed to be "snappable", which means that
there are notches in the plastic base between each pin pair. In my experience,
actually snapping the strip or trying to cut it with a pair of diagonal cutters
only works on the single strips. The double strips break if you try that. You
need to cut the strips with a saw (I use a hand tool called a "coping saw".)
A sample part number would be S2012-36-ND for a double strip 36x2 with
0.120" as the "short" length. There are 13 different combinations for the "long"
pin length and the "short" pin length in tin,  and an equal number for gold.
(The short length is the length of the pin that fits into the PC board; the long
length is the length of the pin that plugs into the cable connector.)

If you need the 6x2 connector in large quantities, Digi-Key will cut the strips
for you. In that case, you will have to create a custom part number as described
on page 91 of the catalog. For example, a 6x2 with the same short pin length
as described above would cost $0.92 + $0.03 * 6 = $1.10. That is a base
cost of 92 cents plus 3 cents for each pin. This is considerably more expensive
than cutting the 36x2 into 6 pieces yourself, since the 36x2 only costs $1.85 or
$0.32 per 6x2.

John Power

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\11\28@173250 by Mike

picon face
On 28 Nov 2003 at 16:06, John N. Power wrote:


<snip>

> There are two choices available to you. The first is to buy (from Digi-Key) a
> strip that is 36x2 and cut it apart into 6 pieces 6x2.

And be sure to tell us where you got a blade thin enough to get 6 pieces out of a
36x2 connector. Wuz we talkin' 'bout female connectors? Seems to me the thread
was regarding an IDE-like IDC connector for ribbon cable which implies female. I can
see the pin headers being doable this way, but not the females. Haven't seen a
snappable female connector yet, either, just the headers. I've used the 1 row
snappables, but thanks for the heads up on the 2 row "snap and trash" ones.

> The Sullins strips on
> page 91 of catalog T033 are designed to be "snappable", which means that
> there are notches in the plastic base between each pin pair. In my experience,
> actually snapping the strip or trying to cut it with a pair of diagonal cutters
> only works on the single strips. The double strips break if you try that. You
> need to cut the strips with a saw (I use a hand tool called a "coping saw".)

The saw's kerf (width of cut - amount of material turned to dust) doesn't trash the
adjacent receptacles?

Good info below, I didn't notice that Digi would cut those buggers. And you've done
the math so we can trade off cost vs. DIY time. Thanks.

BRs,
MIke

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\11\30@152812 by John N. Power

flavicon
face
> From:         Mike[SMTP:mike.fordspamKILLspamEARTHLINK.NET]
> Sent:         Friday, November 28, 2003 5:31 PM
> To:   .....PICLISTKILLspamspam.....MITVMA.MIT.EDU
> Subject:      Re: [PIC]: Does anyone know of a supplier of 2x6 IDE type plugs and sockets ?

> On 28 Nov 2003 at 16:06, John N. Power wrote:

>> There are two choices available to you. The first is to buy (from Digi-Key) a
>> strip that is 36x2 and cut it apart into 6 pieces 6x2.

> And be sure to tell us where you got a blade thin enough to get 6 pieces out of a
> 36x2 connector. Wuz we talkin' 'bout female connectors? Seems to me the thread
> was regarding an IDE-like IDC connector for ribbon cable which implies female.

       From the original post:

> I've got an application that requires a 2x6 way connector similar to what is
> normally found on a hard drive connector. I've trawled the web, Molex and
> AMP but the closest I've got is for a 2X6 way connector that takes crimped
> pins.

> Everyone seems to do 10 way (2x5 way) and 14 way (2x7 way) but I cant find
> anyone who does the 2x6 way IDC sockets and plugs.

           This mentions the plugs (pins).

> I can
> see the pin headers being doable this way, but not the females. Haven't seen a
> snappable female connector yet, either, just the headers. I've used the 1 row
> snappables, but thanks for the heads up on the 2 row "snap and trash" ones.

           The female socket connectors are not snappable. I was referring to the
     male strips.

>> The Sullins strips on
>> page 91 of catalog T033 are designed to be "snappable", which means that
>> there are notches in the plastic base between each pin pair. In my experience,
>> actually snapping the strip or trying to cut it with a pair of diagonal cutters
>> only works on the single strips. The double strips break if you try that. You
>> need to cut the strips with a saw (I use a hand tool called a "coping saw".)

> The saw's kerf (width of cut - amount of material turned to dust) doesn't trash the
> adjacent receptacles?

       Cutting receptacles with a saw would destroy the adjacent connector
     positions. There is a company called Berg which makes cable receptacles that
     use crimped pins on the individual wires which are then inserted into a
     plastic block. The empty block could be sawed before inserting the pins; this
     would reduce the damage. Sawing an Ansley or 3M connector doesn't work
     because this would remove the latches that hold the connector together. The
     Berg connectors are not mass termination and the connector block does not
     separate, so the ends of the block are not as important.
            Also, a pair of 1x6 Molex blocks could be glued together back to back
     to get a 2x6.

     John Power

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2003 , 2004 only
- Today
- New search...