Searching \ for '[OT] Re: Interface to ROMzap' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: techref.massmind.org/techref/index.htm?key=interface+romzap
Search entire site for: 'Re: Interface to ROMzap'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] Re: Interface to ROMzap'
2000\04\03@191037 by Tony Nixon

flavicon
picon face
Robert Wuest wrote:
> The best thing that could happen to
> ROMzap  is a bunch of people that know what they are doing hack
> modifications, improvements and bug fixes so fast that a support
> nightmare might be a problem.  GPL the thing to protect it.  People that
> don't know how to modify it aren't likely to.

Sorry about this, but...

Sheesh, what a drama. In times of past, free tools would have been a
real bonus, now they just seem to be a source of frustration for people
who want to do one better.

As I mentioned before, I don't have a patent, a licence to operate, or
the rights to the concept of ROMzap.

I only fiddle with the project because I like doing it, and I guess I
get a bit of a high knowing that other people find it useful. Plus I
have found it very productive myself so far.

I anyone wants to make it run on Linux, MAC, DOS, C64, Eniac, Brainiac
or whatever, who cares. Go PIC your own OS and do it. Everyone has their
own ideas, this was just my interpretation, and I'm sorry if I don't
know what I'm doing.

Still smilin' though :-)

--
Best regards

Tony

http://www.picnpoke.com
spam_OUTsalesTakeThisOuTspampicnpoke.com

2000\04\03@193137 by Robert Wuest

flavicon
face
Tony Nixon wrote:
>
> Robert Wuest wrote:
> > The best thing that could happen to
> > ROMzap  is a bunch of people that know what they are doing hack
> > modifications, improvements and bug fixes so fast that a support
> > nightmare might be a problem.  GPL the thing to protect it.  People that
> > don't know how to modify it aren't likely to.
>
> Sorry about this, but...
>
> Sheesh, what a drama. In times of past, free tools would have been a
> real bonus, now they just seem to be a source of frustration for people
> who want to do one better.

Free is such a subjective word.

My only real frustration here is I have to use two computers right now
to do PIC development.  One running Linux where I write code and the
other with mplab to load the code.  I have been looking for a way to
load in Linux and you have graciously provided it.  What you have done
is really cool.

>
> As I mentioned before, I don't have a patent, a licence to operate, or
> the rights to the concept of ROMzap.

I would appreciate it if you would clearly state the license of the boot
loader.  Is it PD or some other license you like?  As I said before, if
I write a Linux version, I will GPL it and make it open source.  I would
like to include your boot loader code in that project with attributions
to you, even if it gets changed slightly (which I may have to do to fit
it in my systems).

>
> I only fiddle with the project because I like doing it, and I guess I
> get a bit of a high knowing that other people find it useful. Plus I
> have found it very productive myself so far.
>
> I anyone wants to make it run on Linux, MAC, DOS, C64, Eniac, Brainiac
> or whatever, who cares. Go PIC your own OS and do it. Everyone has their
> own ideas, this was just my interpretation, and I'm sorry if I don't
> know what I'm doing.

Clearly, you _do_ know what you are doing.  I just want Linux tools and
do not want to _have_ to run windows.  Which is why I use HiTech C, they
have a Linux version and it runs so much faster than the windows version
it would make your head spin (same compiler).

>
> Still smilin' though :-)

Keep it up :)

>
> --
> Best regards
>
> Tony
>
> http://www.picnpoke.com
> .....salesKILLspamspam@spam@picnpoke.com

--
Robert Wuest, PE

2000\04\03@235949 by Byron A Jeff

face picon face
>
> Robert Wuest wrote:
> > The best thing that could happen to
> > ROMzap  is a bunch of people that know what they are doing hack
> > modifications, improvements and bug fixes so fast that a support
> > nightmare might be a problem.  GPL the thing to protect it.  People that
> > don't know how to modify it aren't likely to.

Um. Exactly how does GPLing anything "protect it"?

>
> Sorry about this, but...
>
> Sheesh, what a drama. In times of past, free tools would have been a
> real bonus, now they just seem to be a source of frustration for people
> who want to do one better.
>
> As I mentioned before, I don't have a patent, a licence to operate, or
> the rights to the concept of ROMzap.

While that's true, you are the holder of the copyright to the source for
ROMZap. Folks cannot modify or distribute modifications without your
express permission. Which is what I think some folks are asking for.

Not me. I'm perfectly content with things just the way they are. But I think
some folks have a fear that if you become busy or bored with ROMZap that its
development will stagnate.

>
> I only fiddle with the project because I like doing it, and I guess I
> get a bit of a high knowing that other people find it useful. Plus I
> have found it very productive myself so far.

Which I think is exactly why some folks are interested in helping. It's
very productive.

>
> I anyone wants to make it run on Linux, MAC, DOS, C64, Eniac, Brainiac
> or whatever, who cares. Go PIC your own OS and do it. Everyone has their
> own ideas, this was just my interpretation, and I'm sorry if I don't
> know what I'm doing.

Actually you know more that most of us. We're in awe of what you've achieved
and I think some folks simply want to help.

I reiterate that I think you done more than enough as far as I'm concerned.
I plan to put together a Linux based utility that talks to the ROMZap firmware
and use it as a prototyping tool. The release of the firmware, and more
importantly the interface specifications to the firmware makes this doable.
For this I am grateful and I truly thank you for releasing the firmware code.

But just be aware that if ROMZap becomes overwhelming, or if your interests
change, that there are other folks out here that are willing to carry the
flag. That's what I got from this thread, not that you weren't doing a
superb job.

That's my 2 cents.

BAJ

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2000 , 2001 only
- Today
- New search...