Searching \ for '[OT] [EE] Current is Flowing' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page:
Search entire site for: '[EE] Current is Flowing'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] [EE] Current is Flowing'
2000\05\16@101531 by Mark Peterson

>From:    Gabriel Caffese <spam_OUTgabrielsdiTakeThisOuTspamIMPSAT1.COM.AR>
>Subject: How to know it there a current is flowing...

>        I need to know if a small current, that falls between 0.2ma and
>flows over a pair of copper wires of printed circuit boards.
>        Those printed circuit boards cannot be touched, and I cannot
>any standard measurement equipment, because there is no available space as
>to do that.
>        The only way (I think) , is to use something like a Hall effect
>transistor, wich can be hardly put (but can at last), below the printed
>circuit boards that are being inserted.
>        So, I would like to know if someone has ever done something like
>this before, and, if I am on the right way, and this can be done.
>            Hope to receive news from you !!!!

You could use a Hall effect, either open loop or closed loop.  In open
loop, the amplified output of a Hall element is directly used as the
measurement value.  Offset and drift are determined by the Hall element and
the amplifier.  These sensors have low price but also have low sensitivity.
For closed loop, the Hall voltage developed across the sensor, that is
placed in the gap of a magnetic core that surrounds one of your conductors,
is highly amplified and the amplifier's output current then flows through a
compensation coil wound on the same magnetic core.  It generates a magnetic
field that has the same amplitude but opposite direction as the field due
to current flow in the monitored conductor.  The result is that the
magnetic flux in the core is compensated to zero.  Closed loop sensors are
more sensitive and precise, but they also require more cost and effort to

Another option is the use of a magnetoresistive sensor.  These are devices
that have ferromagnetic materials deposited as thin films in narrow strips
while in a magnetic field.  The resistance of this material varies in
relation to the magnitude of a magnetic field they are placed in.  They are
usually used in a bridge arangement and offer good sensitivity.  Their
linearity is not very high so the same compensation principle used with the
closed loop Hall sensors should be used with these.

Mark P

2000\05\16@115723 by jamesnewton

face picon face
Mark, Thank you very much for replying to this post and adding the correct
tags in the subject line. Well Done! It is a great boost to the moral of
your hard working admins to know that at least some people are listing, care
about the list, and are willing to take a few moments to do what it best for

James Newton (PICList Admin #3) 1-619-652-0593
PIC/PICList FAQ: or .org

{Original Message removed}

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2000 , 2001 only
- Today
- New search...