Searching \ for '[EE] Maxim IC (was Temperature and Humidity sensor' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: techref.massmind.org/techref/io/sensors.htm?key=temperature
Search entire site for: 'Maxim IC (was Temperature and Humidity sensor'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[EE] Maxim IC (was Temperature and Humidity sensor'
2011\06\25@220205 by V G

picon face
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Marc Nicholas <spam_OUTgeekythingTakeThisOuTspamgmail.com> wrote:

> They're wonderful devices. Have been a huge fan for years.
>
> Agree with the earlier comment that getting the code right can be a
> challenge, but once it's working you open up a whole world of devices
> and the 1-wire protocol itself is quite something.
>
> Ahhhh, I'm starting to reminisce about the hay-day of DalSemi ;)
>

That reminds me. I do like these devices, as well as many others made by
Maxim IC.

I do remember, though, from a while ago that many on this list have a strong
dislike for Maxim.

Just out of curiosity, why is that

2011\06\25@221238 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:01 -0400, "V G" wrote:

> I do remember, though, from a while ago that many on this list have a
> strong
> dislike for Maxim.

Sampling and small orders, no problem. Try to buy a reel of their parts
sometime. You'll suddenly find a 26 week wait.

Basically they are great for hobbyists and maybe for really big
customers, 50k pieces or more. Anybody else can go fly a kite.

Bob



-- http://www.fastmail.fm - Send your email first class

2011\06\25@230936 by V G

picon face
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Bob Blick <.....bobblickKILLspamspam@spam@ftml.net> wrote:

>  Sampling and small orders, no problem. Try to buy a reel of their parts
> sometime. You'll suddenly find a 26 week wait.
>

Is this true ALL the time? Sometimes? Most of the time?

Or is the inconsistency itself the problem?


> Basically they are great for hobbyists and maybe for really big
> customers, 50k pieces or more. Anybody else can go fly a kite.
>
> Bob
>


What about Linear Technology? Are they any good

2011\06\26@093343 by Herbert Graf

picon face
On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 22:01 -0400, V G wrote:
> That reminds me. I do like these devices, as well as many others made by
> Maxim IC.
>
> I do remember, though, from a while ago that many on this list have a strong
> dislike for Maxim.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why is that?

Maxim has a WIDE variety of great, interesting and different parts. They
are awesome for samples.

They are not awesome when you need anything more then samples and
anything less then massive numbers.

Massive lead times (that get bigger every day), tons of unresponded to
messages.
Because their parts are often quite unique it's almost impossible to
second source many of their newer parts (their more popular older parts
often get second sourced by other manus quite quickly), this is an
automatic "no way" for many companies.

As a student/hobbyist Maxim is great, I'd highly recommend them.
Otherwise, I often think twice and end up going with another manu.

Haven't used a Maxim part in a few years now.

TTYL

2011\06\26@094526 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Herbert Graf <hkgrafspamKILLspamgmail.com> wrote:
> Maxim has a WIDE variety of great, interesting and different parts. They
> are awesome for samples.
>
> They are not awesome when you need anything more then samples and
> anything less then massive numbers.
>
> Massive lead times (that get bigger every day), tons of unresponded to
> messages.
>
> Because their parts are often quite unique it's almost impossible to
> second source many of their newer parts (their more popular older parts
> often get second sourced by other manus quite quickly), this is an
> automatic "no way" for many companies.

All the lead analog companies (ADI, Maxim, TI, Linear Tech) are kind of
like this -- they offer unique parts.

ADI seems to be better in terms of lead time and they are our preferred
analog provider. And high performance analog parts are kind of very
difficult to have second source, similar to the MCU case.

> As a student/hobbyist Maxim is great, I'd highly recommend them.
> Otherwise, I often think twice and end up going with another manu.
>
> Haven't used a Maxim part in a few years now.

My experiences with Maxim tell me that they are getting a bit better
now with the strong competition from ADI, TI (getting stronger with its
National Semi acquisition) and others. We still use tons of Maxim
parts but I tend to try to use ADI more often, then try TI and Maxim.
Linear Tech is strong in the power area but TI (+NS) is catching up.

-- Xiaofa

2011\06\26@163623 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
On 6/25/2011 7:12 PM, Bob Blick wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:01 -0400, "V G" wrote:
>
>> I do remember, though, from a while ago that many on this list have a
>> strong
>> dislike for Maxim.
> Sampling and small orders, no problem. Try to buy a reel of their parts
> sometime. You'll suddenly find a 26 week wait.
>
> Basically they are great for hobbyists and maybe for really big
> customers, 50k pieces or more. Anybody else can go fly a kite.
>
> Bob
>
>
>
Another Maxim problem is that there are few (if any) second-sources for their chip designs.

Without second-sources, you may get trapped without parts on time for production.

--Bo

2011\06\26@163737 by Jon Chandler

picon face
V G wrote:
> That reminds me. I do like these devices, as well as many others made by
> Maxim IC.
>
> I do remember, though, from a while ago that many on this list have a strong
> dislike for Maxim.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why is that?
>    
I think Maxim says it best.  This is from the price and availability page:

   "Please note: Maxim is prioritizing manufacturer business
   ahead of non-franchised distribution. We are unable to
   dedicate any resources to support non-franchised
   distribution, and available inventory is reserved for
     manufacturer demand at this time.
   We apologize for the inconvenience. "

Free samples of any of their products are frequently followed by unavailability of any quantity for purchase.

2011\06\26@171253 by Spehro Pefhany

picon face
At 04:36 PM 6/26/2011, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

In fact, M*x*m are so notorious with regard to this kind of issue
that they have created a market opportunity for a fabless analog IC startup:-

http://touchstonesemi.com

Ironically, this may actually increase the market available to M*x*m.

>Best regards.

Spehro Pefhany --"it's the network..."            "The Journey is the reward"
.....speffKILLspamspam.....interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog  Info for designers:  http://www.speff.com

2011\06\26@210026 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
On 6/26/2011 2:12 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
{Quote hidden}

Good catch, Spehro!!

--Bob

2011\06\26@211631 by Veronica Merryfield

picon face

On 2011-06-26, at 2:12 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> In fact, M*x*m are so notorious with regard to this kind of issue
> that they have created a market opportunity for a fabless analog IC startup:-
>
> http://touchstonesemi.com
>
> Ironically, this may actually increase the market available to M*x*m.

Which begs the question, are linked in some way?

2011\06\26@212431 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Veronica Merryfield
<veronica.merryfieldspamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2011-06-26, at 2:12 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
>> In fact, M*x*m are so notorious with regard to this kind of issue
>> that they have created a market opportunity for a fabless analog IC startup:-
>>
>> http://touchstonesemi.com
>>
>> Ironically, this may actually increase the market available to M*x*m.
>
> Which begs the question, are linked in some way?
>

Yes some of the founders are from Maxim.
http://new.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4217195/Analog-startup-goes-old-school--gets-funding

-- Xiaofa

2011\06\27@005327 by Jesse Lackey

flavicon
face
It is true often enough.  Everything discussed on this thread I concur with and have experienced.  The MAX1480BCPI fully-isolated 1-chip RS485 interface is great.  And relatively expensive, and for 6 months totally unobtainable, as well as the related MAX1480ACPI.  I redesigned the board to have a fully-iso rs485 of mostly my design that had no single-source parts, put that design within the footprint of the DIP-28 the MAX1480 comes in, and just before finalizing the proto they came back into stock.  All this effort doing design and trying to source world-wide (I bought 50 at very high prices just to be able to make some of the product for waiting customers) - all this effort and worry and hassle due to Maxim.  They just have to run their show better.  Everyone else can do it (Atmel is a problem also but nothing like maxim.)

So Maxim's been the worst supplier / biggest PITA for my business thus far, 5 years and counting.

Oh, and they have some great parts.  But seriously, I will /never/ use a maxim part again, I don't care how much more the TI/linear/ADI alternatives are in cost or boardspace.

J


V G wrote:
{Quote hidden}

> What about Linear Technology? Are they any good

2011\06\27@015926 by V G

picon face
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Jesse Lackey <KILLspamjsl-mlKILLspamspamcelestialaudio.com>wrote:

{Quote hidden}

I actually started buying components instead of sampling like a freeloader
and found TI to be pretty cheap actually. I found Linear to be expensive but
I really like their parts (like ideal diode controllers, linear regulators,
etc).

Now I just go to mouser and sort by price, then pick the part that is most
in stock (principles...) as well has a nice datasheet.

Ugly or nonexistent or hard to access datasheet = no buy

2011\06\27@081029 by RussellMc

face picon face
> I actually started buying components instead of sampling like a freeloade ...

Who are you?
What have you done with VG?
:-)

           llessu

2011\06\27@085637 by PICdude

flavicon
face
Of the few Linear parts I've tried, they work well.  Problem is that  they usually require a lot of support components which raises cost and  footprint, and that's usually a show-stopper for my stuff.  Linear's  samples usually come with a bunch of red-tape (meeting with sales rep,  etc), which they have a right to do, but which just adds  complications.  I'm not one to get free samples for the fun of it, and  usually end up buying samples anyway if I already have orders going  out to Digikey, Mouser, etc.

Cheers,
-Neil.


Quoting V G <RemoveMEx.solarwind.xTakeThisOuTspamgmail.com>:
{Quote hidden}

2011\06\27@140736 by Jesse Lackey

flavicon
face
Hi - TI is good with samples, there are limits but they don't say specifically how many free sample orders are too many.  I did get 'cut off' once 2 years ago, but 4 months later it was no problem again.  More lately they ask that I justify why I need a weird combination of chips yet again.  (i.e. mic preamps, LED drivers, zigbee, and dc/dc converters are not commonly requested together several times over.)

A year ago TI was a big problem for availability of a dc/dc, 4 month lead times etc.  Unlike Maxim, I got someone @ TI to send 10-20 as samples several times which got me thru the crunch.  And lots of apologies.  So I was gripey but at least they tried pretty hard to make their mistakes not cause too much damage.

And the datasheets are above average to excellent for the most part.
And agreed about the cost problem of Linear.  Wish they were cheaper, I'd use them more.  But, it is their business to decide pricing... functionally I've only had one head-banging, punch the furniture issue with anything from Linear.  (a multichannel A/D that really needed better documentation.)

J


V G wrote:
{Quote hidden}

> Ugly or nonexistent or hard to access datasheet = no buy

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2011 , 2012 only
- Today
- New search...