Searching \ for '*Very* off topic (culture) Was: Re: [OT] joke ...' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: techref.massmind.org/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: '*Very* off topic (culture) Was: Re: [OT] joke ...'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'*Very* off topic (culture) Was: Re: [OT] joke ...'
1998\02\03@184816 by Morgan Olsson

picon face
>Version 4 is not good omen for our Asian friends and 4.04 is even more so.
>
>Walter Banks :)
>
Maybe I was sleeping too much in school...
May I ask why our Asian friends don«t like 4 ?
So I don«t misbehave or something on holiday.
/Morgan
Morgan Olsson, MORGANS REGLERTEKNIK, Sweden
spam_OUTmrtTakeThisOuTspaminame.com, ph: +46 (0)414 70741; fax 70331
-

1998\02\03@191309 by Walter Banks

picon face
Morgan Olsson wrote:
>
> >Version 4 is not good omen for our Asian friends and 4.04 is even more so.
> >
> Maybe I was sleeping too much in school...
> May I ask why our Asian friends don«t like 4 ?
> So I don«t misbehave or something on holiday.

4 is some ways like 13 to western society. The
sound of one of the words for word 4 is very much
like the word for death. As westerner who travels
to Japan and Taiwan quite a bit I almost always get
assigned a room on the 4th floor if there is a 4th
floor.

Walter Banks

1998\02\04@191620 by Han

flavicon
face
4 (sounds like she in english)in chinese culture means death
death in bussines,death in step ,death in lucky  that's all i know
and the lucky number is 8



----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
----------
From: Morgan Olsson <.....mrtKILLspamspam@spam@INAME.COM>
To: PICLISTspamKILLspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject: *Very* off topic (culture) Was: Re: [OT] joke ...
Date: Wednesday, February 04, 1998 6:42 AM

>Version 4 is not good omen for our Asian friends and 4.04 is even more so.
>
>Walter Banks :)
>
Maybe I was sleeping too much in school...
May I ask why our Asian friends don4t like 4 ?
So I don4t misbehave or something on holiday.
/Morgan
Morgan Olsson, MORGANS REGLERTEKNIK, Sweden
.....mrtKILLspamspam.....iname.com, ph: +46 (0)414 70741; fax 70331
-
----------

1998\02\04@205054 by Andy Kunz

flavicon
face
At 07:10 AM 2/5/98 +0700, you wrote:
>4 (sounds like she in english)in chinese culture means death
>death in bussines,death in step ,death in lucky  that's all i know
>and the lucky number is 8

I guess the Chi Chi's restaurant chain doesn't intend to open in China
anytime soon, then.

"Sure, honey, let's go get take-out from Death Death."  Maybe, though, it
would be popular with the black-and-white-makeup-and-dyed-hair teen
subculture...

Andy

==================================================================
Andy Kunz - Montana Design - 409 S 6th St - Phillipsburg, NJ 08865
         Hardware & Software for Industry & R/C Hobbies
       "Go fast, turn right, and keep the wet side down!"
==================================================================

1998\02\06@122833 by Martin McCormick

flavicon
face
       One evening, I listened to a discussion over amateur radio in which
a person who spoke Japanese was telling a group of fellow amateur radio
operators how to say digits in Japanese.  If I recall, the number 4
had two different sounds, one being  shi  and the other being  yong.  If
there were two 4's, one was always to say "yong yong," and never the double
version of the other sound.

Martin McCormick

1998\02\06@133106 by kotay

flavicon
face
>
>         One evening, I listened to a discussion over amateur radio in which
> a person who spoke Japanese was telling a group of fellow amateur radio
> operators how to say digits in Japanese.  If I recall, the number 4
> had two different sounds, one being  shi  and the other being  yong.  If
> there were two 4's, one was always to say "yong yong," and never the double
> version of the other sound.
>
> Martin McCormick
>
In Japanese the two pronounciations for 4 are shee (sometimes
written as shi and pronounced like the English word she) and
yohn (sometimes written as yon--in both cases the 'o' is long,
yohn rhymes with bone although the 'h' in yohn does slightly
affect the sound).  I spent the summer in Japan so I got a lot
of practice speaking Japanese.  In Japanese speech there are
times when shee is used exclusively, times when yohn is used
exclusively and times when either is appropriate.  For example
if you enter a restaurant the waiter/waitress will ask you how
many people there are in your party.  To say "four people" you
would say "yo-neen" where the "four" is represented by "yo" (a
shortened version of yohn) and "people" is represented by
"neen."

Keith

1998\02\12@010438 by Ross McKenzie

flavicon
face
At 08:46 PM 2/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 07:10 AM 2/5/98 +0700, you wrote:
>>4 (sounds like she in english)in chinese culture means death
>>death in bussines,death in step ,death in lucky  that's all i know
>>and the lucky number is 8
>
>I guess the Chi Chi's restaurant chain doesn't intend to open in China
>anytime soon, then.
>
>"Sure, honey, let's go get take-out from Death Death."  Maybe, though, it
>would be popular with the black-and-white-makeup-and-dyed-hair teen
>subculture...
>
>Andy

Andy I have 2 offspring who subscribe to that culture, if we can elevate it
to that level. Here in Australia they are called "Goths".

When I visited Taipei last year I entered a lift on the ground floor at the
same time as 3 Arabs one of whom laughed and said "Marfi arba". Having lived
in Saudi Arabia for 4.5 years, my ears picked up, my brain spun into action
and translated it as "There is no 4." It was only then that I realised I was
one level closer to the street <g>. "Isn't this a fascinating world we live in?"

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
Melbourne Australia

1998\02\12@170357 by Sean Breheny

face picon face
At 05:02 PM 2/12/98 +1100, you wrote:
>When I visited Taipei last year I entered a lift on the ground floor at the
>same time as 3 Arabs one of whom laughed and said "Marfi arba". Having lived
>in Saudi Arabia for 4.5 years, my ears picked up, my brain spun into action
>and translated it as "There is no 4." It was only then that I realised I was
>one level closer to the street <g>. "Isn't this a fascinating world we
live in?"
>
>Regards,
>
>Ross McKenzie
>Melbourne Australia


I probably shouldn't ask because of the utter OTness of it, but I've got to
know: I just don't under stand what the signifigance of "There is no 4" in
relation to "I was one level closer to the street" is! You walked in on the
ground floor, or is this expression "closer to the street" not supposed to
be taken literally?

Sean

+--------------------------------+
| Sean Breheny                   |
| Amateur Radio Callsign: KA3YXM |
| Electrical Engineering Student |
+--------------------------------+
Fight injustice, please look at
http://homepages.enterprise.net/toolan/joanandrews/

Personal page: http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/shb7
EraseMEshb7spam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTcornell.edu
Phone(USA): (607) 253-0315

1998\02\12@173138 by rlunn

flavicon
face
> When I visited Taipei last year I entered a lift on the ground floor at the
> same time as 3 Arabs one of whom laughed and said "Marfi arba". Having lived
> in Saudi Arabia for 4.5 years, my ears picked up, my brain spun into action
> and translated it as "There is no 4." It was only then that I realised I was
> one level closer to the street <g>. "Isn't this a fascinating world we live
in?"

       Ross, here in Sydney (Australia) there is a very large apartment
       building in the CBD (supposedly the largest? or tallest? residential
       apartment building in the southern hemisphere).

       Obviously (until recently that is :) ) the building was targetted
       heavily towards foreign (asian, that is Chinese) investors.

       There are no fours in the building.

       No 4th, 14th, 24th, 34th, 44th, 54th floors!

       On a slightly different note, I remember in Japan finding many
       buildings that lacked a 13th floor (a distinction also shared
       by some Australian hotels that cater to Japanese tourists).

___Bob

1998\02\13@022120 by Ross McKenzie

flavicon
face
At 05:03 PM 2/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

Sean,

Too obtuse? The lift had the floor selection buttons labelled. None was
labelled 4. My room was on the floor named "6". With no floor 4, my floor
was actually one level closer to the street (level). HTH

Ross

1998\02\13@093643 by Geoff Wootton

flavicon
picon face
I still don't get it Ross. Do you mean that they took out floor 4 when
you were on floor 6?


>
> Too obtuse? The lift had the floor selection buttons labelled. None was
> labelled 4. My room was on the floor named "6". With no floor 4, my floor
> was actually one level closer to the street (level). HTH
>
> Ross
>

1998\02\13@103001 by )

flavicon
face
We have a skyscraper here in my town (Louisville, KY, USA) which
actually does not have a 13th floor. It kind of exists, but it has no
windows, no elevator stops, no public access. Basically an unused empty
floor where no one is allowed to go. Considering it's in a very high
priced office district, it's a very high priced bit if superstition!

-Frank


{Quote hidden}

1998\02\13@104923 by Brian Schousek

picon face
Geoff:

It's a joke.


-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Wootton <KILLspamwoottongKILLspamspamisdugp.bham.ac.uk>
To: RemoveMEPICLISTTakeThisOuTspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU <spamBeGonePICLISTspamBeGonespamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Friday, February 13, 1998 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: *Very* off topic (culture) Was: Re: [OT] joke ...


{Quote hidden}

1998\02\13@112259 by Matt Bonner

flavicon
face
Geoff Wootton wrote:
>
> I still don't get it Ross. Do you mean that they took out floor 4 when
> you were on floor 6?
>
I think that Ross should consider himself lucky that he wasn't on floor
4 at the time it was removed.  I think that this is a case for Mulder
and Scully.
> >
> > Too obtuse? The lift had the floor selection buttons labelled. None was
> > labelled 4. My room was on the floor named "6". With no floor 4, my floor
> > was actually one level closer to the street (level). HTH
> >
> > Ross
> >

1998\02\13@183921 by Ross McKenzie

flavicon
face
At 14:25 13/02/98 +0000, you wrote:
>I still don't get it Ross. Do you mean that they took out floor 4 when
>you were on floor 6?
>
>
>>
>> Too obtuse? The lift had the floor selection buttons labelled. None was
>> labelled 4. My room was on the floor named "6". With no floor 4, my floor
>> was actually one level closer to the street (level). HTH
>>
>> Ross
>>
>

OK, as they say in the (Jazz) classics "One more time".

My room key said floor 6, so I imagined

flr 6
flr 5
flr 4
flr 3
flr 2
flr 1 (ground level)

But, because the Taiwanese do not use the number 4 in their labelling, it
was actually

flr 6
flr 5
flr 3
flr 2
flr 1

Consequently, I was actually one floor closer to the street level.

SIMI,

Ross

1998\02\13@220256 by Andy Kunz

flavicon
face
>OK, as they say in the (Jazz) classics "One more time".

"WWWWWWWon mo tahm."

That's how they say it.

Andy

==================================================================
                   Andy Kunz - Montana Design
==================================================================

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1998 , 1999 only
- Today
- New search...